We started looking at the Defcon 21 badge today and noticed the sequence of numbers on the back of each badge is different.
I got the 7 (defcon) badge, and a friend got the King (Disk). We assume there are four suits.
- 7 (Defcon) 05020707212205071818011614011518190801
- King (Disk) 050207072122571818010305021514152512220601070522202107
Since all the numbers were below 26, we assumed it was some sort of ROT. This is similar to the data that was on the ring of the main entrance at Defcon 20.
Writing a quick tool we got the following output
Rot 8: NKPPDENPAAJYWJXABQJ
Rot 9: OLQQEFOQBBKZXKYBCRK
Rot 10: PMRRFGPRCCLAYLZCDSL
Rot 11: QNSSGHQSDDMBZMADETM
Rot 12: ROTTHIRTEENCANBEFUN
Rot 13: SPUUIJSUFFODBOCFGVO
Rot 14: TQVVJKTVGGPECPDGHWP
Rot 15: URWWKLUWHHQFDQEHIXQ
Rot 16: VSXXLMVXIIRGERFIJYR
Rot 8: NKPPDENAAJLNKXWXHUEOJPNECDP
Rot 9: OLQQEFOBBKMOLYXYIVFPKQOFDEQ
Rot 10: PMRRFGPCCLNPMZYZJWGQLRPGEFR
Rot 11: QNSSGHQDDMOQNAZAKXHRMSQHFGS
Rot 12: ROTTHIREENPROBABLYISNTRIGHT
Rot 13: SPUUIJSFFOQSPCBCMZJTOUSJHIU
Rot 14: TQVVJKTGGPRTQDCDNAKUPVTKIJV
Rot 15: URWWKLUHHQSUREDEOBLVQWULJKW
Rot 16: VSXXLMVIIRTVSFEFPCMWRXVMKLX
I’m not sure what to make of it yet. Need to gather the data from a couple other badges first.
After posting this I stumbled on some data someone else posted. https://github.com/john-defcon/badge/blob/master/result.txt I’m not sure if it’s all the badges, but it’s a big set of them.
Putting each badge in order by 3 digit binary you get a couple phrases:
The first is the last in the real order the first is the last be exclusive or has it registered that tap at zero and done will be all the feedback you need in the real order.
- Dial 000 Q THEFIRSTISTHELAST
- Dial 001 A INTHEREALORDERTHE
- Dial 010 J FIRSTISTHELASTBEE
- Dial 011 5 XCLUSIVEORHASITRE
- Dial 100 7 GISTEREDTHATTAPAT
- Dial 101 K ZEROANDONEWILLBEA
- Dial 110 2 LLTHEFEEDBACKYOUN
- Dial 111 10 EEDINTHEREALORDER
The sky will clear up not in black and white but shade of the bits help you turn this key x.
- Key 000 2 THESKYSWI
- Key 001 7 LLCLEARUP
- Key 010 K NOTINBLAC
- Key 011 J KANDWHITE
- Key 100 5 BUTSHADEO
- Key 101 10 FTHEBITSH
- Key 110 A ELPYOUTUR
- Key 111 Q NTHISKEYX
Rot thirteen probably isn’t right but this is fun right though his mind is not for rent don’t put him down as arrogant his reserve a quiet defense riding out the days events catch the mist catch the myth catch the mystery catch the drife,
- Disk 000 K ROTTHIRTEENPROBABLYISNTRIGHT
- Disk 001 7 BUTTHISISFUNRIGHT
- Disk 010 10 THOUGHHISMINDISNOTFORRENT
- Disk 011 A DONTPUTHIMDOWNASARROGANT
- Disk 100 5 HISRESERVEAQUIETDEFENSE
- Disk 101 Q RIDINGOUTTHEDAYSEVENTS
- Disk 110 J CATCHTHEMISTCATCHTHEMYTH
- Disk 111 2 CATCHTHEMYSTERYCATCHTHEDRIFE
Rot thirteen can be fun but sometimes leads a stray try something else and you will see that finding answers may take you down paths not often repeated not all who wander are lost.
- Skull 000 7 ROTTHIRTEENCANBEFUN
- Skull 001 10 BUTSOMETIMESLEADSASTRAY
- Skull 010 5 TRYSOMETHINGELSE
- Skull 011 2 ANDYOUWILLSEE
- Skull 100 q THATFINDINGANSWERS
- Skull 101 J MAYTAKEYOUDOWN
- Skull 110 K PATHSNOTOFTENREPEATED
- Skull 111 A NOTALLWHOWANDERARELOST
I’m still not sure what the other symbols mean yet. Pi, e, LFSR, and whatever the last one is.